Thursday, March 15, 2012

Bishkek Journal -Cal Preece Weekending Feb 23 2012

Friday, 17 February 2012-Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan Good news this morning fro the weather forecasters. We are heading for temperatures above freezing over the next two or three days in Bishkek. First time we have seen that many days in a row with above freezing temperatures since I returned in January. That makes maneuvering Bishkek's ice and snow-covered walkways a little easier on the whole. But there are still some dangerous footings caused by the thawing and refreezing when overnight temperatures slip back into the below freezing range.

Saturday, 18 February 2012-Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan At 8 am this morning it was already 28 degrees F. As the sun is came up and there was a remarkable orange glow in the Eastern sky. The temperature is supposed to rise to 38 degrees F by this afternoon. That means slush where the snow and ice have been. It makes walking a little tedious. That means I took a taxi to join the group at FatBoys at 10 am for breakfast. Breakfast with this group has become a regular event. The group can range from a core of six to as many as 15 people. Conversation topics range across a wide span, and often includes local information of use shared among us. After breakfast I grabbed a taxi to head out shopping for things I need at Osh Bazaar. Osh Bazaar is the largest of the outdoor-indoor bazaars in the city and is a marvel of movement and humanity. For the most part you can find anything you are looking for in the way of spices, food, and other commodities. I bought some paprika, saffron, and cumin. As I was walking I was having to dodge the running mud streams created by the thawing snow and ice. I stumbled briefly, caught myself before falling, but was immediately lifted back to a standing position by three people. My hands were really covered in black mud. Luckily, I carry a bandana with me as a handkerchief. I was able to clean my hands and dignity restored continue for a bit longer. I really need to buy a couple of pots and pans, along with some plates, but I did not find anything on this trip. Maybe when the drying takes place in March.

Sunday, 19 February 2012-Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan Sunday morning coming down in Bishkek. Moving slow, but got out of the apartment today to walk. Went to have coffee at Coffee, a nice coffee shop at Toktogula and Shopokov, which is about 4 blocks away. They have WiFi there and it is great coffee. I usually take my iPod with me, but also the Kindle, so I can read. It is also one of the places that I can read and pick up a copy of The Times of Central Asia. It is one of the few sources of information in English publised weekly in Bishkek. The paper covers all of the Central Asian countries and seems to have a primary focus on economics, business, and political issues. Temperatures are well above freezing again today. A Facebook friend posted a really interesting image of the food products of Kyrgyzstan by region today. I found it very interesting so I wanted to share it with you.

Monday, 20 February 2012-Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan This morning brought an interesting article on the value of fasting in The Guardian. I have never been much for the practice of fasting longer than a day or two at a time. I think that my attitude towards such practices, which are often based in religious activities, go against a larger philosophical stance of mine that sees asceticism in extremes as just a form of self-punishment for imagined faults or sins brought on by an attempt to appease or mollify a deity. But, if there is actually a health value to be achieved, I may have to reconsider.

The snow is falling this morning in Bishkek. And it is pretty heavy. This is after several days of above freezing weather, sloppy slush on the walkways and a melting ice pack. Apparently the false Spring is over for now. Temperature as I write is right at freezing.

Tuesday, 21 February 2012-Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan Last night the snow came again and Bishkek is all covered in white again. Temperatures are in the 20's F, -4 C and are getting cooler tomorrow with more snow predicted. In some ways the snow is better than the slop created by the thaw of last week. Easier to walk on and not as messy on your pants legs. But I find that I don't wander very far when the cold is brisk and snow is falling. No real reason to head out since I have vegetables for soup and other possibilities. I find I like to read and sleep on days like today.

Wednesday, 22 February 2012-Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan I got a call this morning from a fellow teacher at SECom Language School asking if I would like to meet him for some coffee. I suggested that we could meet at Coffee on Toktogula at 3 p.m. The snow has stopped falling and I thought it would not take me long to walk over to meet him there. But, it took me almost an hour to walk the four blocks.

On the way I encountered a young family creating a snowman in the playing field of one of the nearby schools.

At the meeting I was asked to consider returning to teach conversational English at SECom Language School and I told him I would consider it, but not on a daily basis. He suggested that the school could offer a series of talking club meetings on Saturdays for those who were interested. I think it is a good approach and I will do it if possible.

Thursday, 23 February 2012-Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan I woke quite late this morning after a restless night. I just could not seem to stay asleep and only slept in short one hour snatches. As a result, I read, slept, read, slept most of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment